Buying & Selling Fireworks


Please follow the following regulations within the City of Sterling Heights:

  • Professional grade display fireworks remain illegal to buy and sell, except for professional fireworks shows.
  • Anyone selling consumer fireworks must be certified by the State of Michigan to do so and must prominently display the state certificate at the retail location.
  • Anyone selling low-impact fireworks must be registered on the state’s website before doing so.
  • It is unlawful to sell consumer fireworks to a minor.
  • Retail sellers of consumer fireworks must maintain insurance coverage of not less than $10,000,000 per occurrence.
  • It is unlawful to smoke within 50 feet of a consumer fireworks retail sales area.
  • The City is prohibited by state law from enacting or enforcing any ordinances or regulations that regulate the sale of fireworks.
  1. Consumer Fireworks
  2. Low-Impact Fireworks
  3. Novelty Fireworks

Consumer Fireworks

Effective January 1, 2012, the State of Michigan legalized the sale of many types of fireworks that leave the ground when ignited and discharged. These types of fireworks are now known as consumer fireworks include:
  • Aerial shell kits
  • Aerial spinners
  • Bottle rockets
  • Certain multiple tube fireworks devices
  • Chasers
  • Firecrackers
  • Helicopters
  • Mine and shell devices
  • Roman candles
  • Sky rockets

Report Violations

To report violations of the state laws listed above, contact the Sterling Heights Fire Department at 586-446-2950.