The Sterling Heights Community Foundation and its ten scholarship sponsoring partners are awarding 35 scholarships totaling $34,500 on May 4, 2016 to local area college bound high school seniors and current college students.
The Sterling Heights Community Foundation and its ten scholarship sponsoring partners are awarding 35 scholarships totaling $34,500 on May 4, 2016 to local area college bound high school seniors and current college students. This marks the 18th consecutive year that the Foundation has awarded scholarships to area youth pursuing degrees in higher education or vocation training.
The organizations awarding scholarships are BAE Systems, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Foundation, Ford Motor Company Foundation, Friends of Tom Kroll, General Dynamics Land Systems, Macomb County Chiropractic Association, former Mayor Richard J. Notte endowment for government public service, Rotary Club of Sterling Heights, the Selfridge Air National Guard Base Community Council and the Sterling Heights Community Foundation.
The Foundation began awarding scholarships in 1999 and has awarded scholarships to 360 area students totaling $309,500, including this year’s awards.
• BAE Systems – The company is awarding two $1,000 scholarships to students pursuing undergraduate degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics curriculums.
• Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Foundation – The Foundation is awarding five $1,000 scholarships to Sterling Heights residents graduating from high school with plans to pursue mechanical and electrical engineering, manufacturing, computer science and automotive technician careers.
• Ford Motor Company Foundation – The Foundation is awarding 10 $1,000 scholarships to Sterling Heights residents pursuing undergraduate degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics curriculums.
• Friends of Tom Kroll - The Tom Kroll Scholarship endowment is awarding one $500 scholarship in honor of Tom Kroll, a retired UCS teacher and coach.
• General Dynamics Land Systems - The company is awarding four $1000 scholarships to high school students pursuing undergraduate degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics disciplines.
• Macomb County Chiropractic Association- The Association is awarding five $1,000 scholarships to students pursuing a career in chiropractic health care.
• Mayor Richard J. Notte Scholarship for Public Service - Is awarding one $1000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights college student pursuing a college degree in government public service.
• Rotary Club of Sterling Heights - Is awarding two $1,000 scholarships to Sterling Heights residents who are either high school seniors or college students.
• Selfridge ANG/Base Community - The council is awarding two $1,000 scholarships to children of military personnel attached to Selfridge Air National Guard Base attending college or vocational training.
• Sterling Heights Community Foundation - Is awarding three $1,000 scholarships to students pursuing college degrees or vocational training.
About the Sterling Heights Community FoundationThe Sterling Heights Community Foundation, established in 1991, is celebrating its 25th year as a certified 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization improving the quality of life of Sterling Heights area residents through cultural, educational and recreational activities. The Foundation sponsors programs and projects that reach every member of the Sterling Heights community and has contributed more than $1.2 million to organizations and activities that support its mission.
Examples of the Foundation’s contributions include: public library support, senior activity center contributions, art sculptures, city park picnic shelters, the city trolley, city park play centers, sponsorship of Sterlingfest, the annual Dodge Park run, Teenfest, contributions totaling more than $200,000 to dozens of organizations addressing smoking cessation programs and programs helping area seniors, 360 scholarships totaling $309,500 to area students pursuing a college education, restoration of the historic Upton House, the city center brick paver program, construction of Rotary Park, Nature Center enhancements, Dodge Park concerts, and hosting a series of City Summits to discuss the future of the city with residents.
The Foundation also manages 23 donor advised permanent endowment funds which may receive charitable donations. Contributions may also be made to the foundation’s general endowment fund to support the Foundation mission.
For more information on the Sterling Heights Community Foundation, please visit its website at sterlingheightscommunityfoundation.org.