Sterling Heights is nearing its 50th anniversary as a city in 2018, but there’s no shortage of housing development activity taking place. As of September, there are more than 1,500 residential units planned for construction in Sterling Heights.
According to City Planner Chris McLeod, 1,546 housing units are currently in either the planning, engineering or construction phase in Sterling Heights. The developments include starter and high-end single-family homes, luxury condominium complexes, one and two bedroom apartments and a variety of senior living facilities.
Mayor Michael Taylor said the development activity reflects the continually growing population and the administration’s effort to sustain and support the desire to live in Sterling Heights.
“It’s exciting to see quality new developments in a variety of sizes and styles continuing in Sterling Heights,” Taylor said. “There’s a misconception that Sterling Heights is built-out, but in fact we’ve really seen a boom in residential development activity over the last few years partially fueled by major manufacturing investments resulting in hundreds of new jobs.”
The new residential offerings come at a crucial time, with job growth expanding in Sterling Heights. FCA is completing a $1.4 billion dollar investment in the Sterling Heights Assembly plant that alone will create 750 new jobs to produce the 2018 Dodge Ram pick-up truck. Mitchell Plastics, a supplier for the Dodge Ram, is investing $20 million to build a new facility that will employ another 120 jobs. Flex ‘N Gate is investing $2.2 million and will create 50 jobs related to engineering.
The redevelopment of land is a unique trend in Sterling Heights, as English Estates is being developed on the site of the former Thorpe Elementary. The Verandas, a Moceri development at the Maple Lane Golf Club, will maintain an 18 hole golf course and a 9 hole executive course, while providing a total of 807 residences ranging from single family homes, to townhomes, to assisted living; along with a 30,000-square foot event and celebration center, fitness and wellness center, indoor and outdoor pools, classrooms, a pro shop, retail stores and a full-service restaurant. The Verandas is being marketed as “active luxe living” with a resort-style feel.
Some of the other featured residential developments in-progress includes:
• Palm Ryan Subdivision: 16 units, 3,000+ sq. ft. homes, ranging from $400k to $500k
• Stonehill: 54 townhomes, 4 single-family homes
• Sterling Landings: 200 units, one and two-bedroom apartments ranging from 600 to 1,000 sq. ft.
• Comfort Care Senior Living Facility: 80 units, assisted senior living
• Jenny Lane Site Condominiums: 17 units, single-family homes starting at 2,800 sq. ft.
• Town Village: 24 units, assisted senior living and memory care
• Holy Martyrs Chaldean Catholic Church Senior Complex: 96 units, senior independent living
• Fox Pointe Site Condominium: 23 units, single-family homes
• Lisa Marie Site Condominium: 11 units, single-family homes
• Maplewoods of Sterling Heights Site Condominium: 93 units, single-family homes, minimum home size of 1,700 sq. ft.
• Hannerbauer Parc: 20 units, single family-homes
Media with questions can contact Community Relations Director Bridget Kozlowski at (586) 446-2471 or email email@example.com.