GOLDEN CORRIDOR ICON NAMING CONTEST: The results are in! We had 6,070 individual submissions, and with three options a piece, that's more than 18,000 different name ideas that came through. We have to say one thing: you guys are certainly creative!
After hours of scanning the thousands of options, the top five (5) have been chosen. They are listed below, and with a little definition or context to hopefully help you make a decision (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER):
1. The Aurum: “Aurum” is the Latin word for gold. It’s also the name of the element Au, which is gold’s chemical symbol. (Idea first submitted by Colleen Glodich of Sterling Heights)
2. The Halo: “Halo” is a disk or a circle of light around the sun, moon or other luminous body caused by a refraction through ice crystals in the atmosphere. Can also be called “The Halo” on Hall Road. (Idea first submitted by Connie Truszkowski of Sterling Heights).
3. The Overture: “Overture” is an introduction, opening or initiation toward a new relationship or something more substantial. In music and especially operas, it’s the prelude or the introductory piece. (Idea first submitted by Deborah Torres of Sterling Heights).
4. The Sun Gate: When standing facing east, one can see the sun rise through the Icon. “Sun Gate” is also the name for the entrance to the ancient city of Machu Picchu that is dedicated to the sun god. Visitors to this spot can see the sun rise over the mountains. (Idea first submitted by Shannon Geiger of Roseville).
5. Standing “O”: A “Standing Ovation” is an enthusiastic reaction to a performance or speech when people stand up to clap and show their appreciation. (Idea first submitted by Melanie Herrick of Detroit).
LINK TO CAST YOUR VOTE: https://conta.cc/2HFaiUw
Only one submission per person allowed. Voting will be open until Midnight on Thursday, March 28. The winner will be announced at 10 a.m. EST on Friday, March 29.
We did get a handful of funny submissions that were too good not to share. Hopefully these give you a giggle on a Monday, too! Silly submissions: Bob, Steve, Pizza, Oprah’s Bat Signal, Hall and Oates, My Precious, Ringy McRingface, 2008 Detroit Lions Wins Memorial, O Hall Yeah, Hall Road Hulahoop, One Ring to Rule the Hall, Sonic’s Manifesto, Terrance, The Golden Cheerio…
Thank you all for your participation, and happy voting!